Deadlands - What We Leave Behind
Characters for this campaign will be created using the basic methods in the Deadlands (Classic) Player's Handbook, with the following exceptions:
- Traits: Players can draw two separate sets of stats, and choose their preferred draw. They cannot intermingle stats from the two draws – they must choose Draw 1, or Draw 2. Follow the rest of the process as normal – draw 12 card, discarding 2 – though you cannot discard Deuces or Jokers. Assign the 10 remaining scores to your Corporeal and Mental Traits.
- Aptitudes: Aptitudes are calculated as normal (Knowledge + Smarts + Cognition die types = total aptitude points). Certain aptitudes have "basic" levels already assigned – points spent here are cumulative with the base skill level (climbin' 1, search 1, sneak 1, area knowledge: home county 2, language: native language 2). Any starting aptitude at level 4 or 5 requires justification in the character's backstory.
- Edges & Hindrances: No Edges or Hindrances are expressly disallowed, though see below for recommendations and choices I'd discourage. Anything is honestly open, though, if you can justify it in-character to my satisfaction.
- Recommended Edges: Brave, Friends in High Places, Reknown – Any of the above would explain your value as an employee.
- Discouraged Edges: Arcane Background – Shaman, Law Man, Rank – Law Man & Rank would tie characters too much geographically for the scope of the campaign. Shamans are disallowed at least at the initial launch of campaign – they could be incorporated as recruited characters later in the campaign, if interested.
- Recommended Hindrances: Curious, Heroic, Loyal – these make you more valuable to ME as a tool for manipula…errr, character development! :)
- Discouraged Hindrances: Outlaw (3-5), Wanted (3-5) – It would be quite difficult to justify your employment with either of these Hindrances.